Any comments or questions please contact us: or

(Please note our reply depends on available internet access, we will reply to you as soon as possible.)


IX - Sailaway's re-fit.


To view our previous log entries please use the following link:

VIII - Eventually we reach Turkey!


To view our next log entries please use the following link:

VIII - Eventually we begin sailing!



Log Entry Monday 8th July - The work continues but in a much cooler environment.

Certainly we notice the difference, with cooling water under our hull, we have still have a week or so of work to complete above and below decks, the daily temperature now mid to high 30C! One of the major tasks is to repair the damage to our mast head sustained during a lightening storm some time ago. This was our second attempt to replace both the VHF ariel and wind instrumentation, the first failed due the original build of the vessel. No thought had been considered with regards to rework or the exchange of the equipment? The method in which the cables were run through the mast meant that, in theory the mast had to be dropped and the cables replaced on the ground. After some modifications to the base of the mast and a little creative thinking means that the expensive crane hire could be avoided, all we needed was a suitable character to put up the mast - that was Tina!

The work took about eight hours, split into two days due to the strenuous nature of the work and the heat, Tina seemed quite happy 17 meters up! The new, replacement equipment had been on board for some time, it was good to get it installed and working again, thanks Tina!

The Turkish authorities have introduced a "Blue Card System (Mavi Kart)", your vessel is issued with a card and on it is logged any waste created on board, effectively in theory completely eliminating discharge of any substance into the water. On the card is recorded, black (toilet) waste, grey (effectively sink) waste, bildge water and oils deposited, the data recorded in litres. Due to the controls introduced we decided to convert our holding (toilet) tank to accept our grey water from our sinks. Our waste water can now be fully contained and pumped out at a suitable station. Spot checks both of the vessel and assigned Blue Card are pledged but as they say, "time will tell", at least we are conforming? The theory is excellant but how manageable it is is questionable - still, they succeeded in the USA!



Log Entry Thursday 27th June - Three weeks in the yard achieves a tremendous transformation, more work to complete "afloat".

We had to order new windows for Sailaway, with her newly painted topsides they look great. Today the second coat of antifoul goes on, the lift back into the water is scheduled for 4pm.

We finish a little early and toast our achievement, certainly a much improved vessel entering the water that came out, thanks to all involved.

At exactly 4pm the lift begins, once suspended a final coat of antifoul is put on the hull where the cradle pads had been supporting the vessel - Adrianne has a real advantage due to her height.

Sailaway is lowered into the water, I literally step on to the stern and check the new sea cocks for leaks, all is good, the engine is started and back to our berth we take her, a job extremely well done. We have approximately a further couple of weeks work left to do then time to sail, all ropes, halyards sails etc have to be re fitted..


Log Entry Sunday 23rd June - Progress continues, Sailaway begins to look "ship shape" again.

Sailaway has been in the yard now for just over two weeks, at last she is making good progress, with the hull, topsides and deck complete - we move off and camp at Ian and Adrianne's for a couple of days to let the paint harden off. Work is getting more and more difficult as the temperatures reach well into the mid-thirties each day. Our replacement windows arrive monday from Marmaris, unfortunately we find that now our power management system has failed, a replacement is needed, another job to do!


Log Entry Wednesday 12th June - Sailaway's progress is amazing.

Sailaway was lifted out on the 6th June, she was over due for a touch of paint, over nine months left to herself had not been kind to her "she looked tired" was the best way to describe her. The major problem now was the ambient temperatures, mid thirties every day now, we made shade from old sails.

The hull was in much worse state than we had imagined, we believed the paintwork below the water line would need patching - we were so wrong, there was major rework to be done. I was restricted with regards to what I could do, prolonged periods on my feet was difficult due to the condition of my knees. We are fortunate to have such good friends, hard workers too - in four days the hull was rubbed down, and repainted ready for antifoul.

Sailaway was transformed by the hard work of Ann, Ian, Adrianne and Tina and in temperatures of 35/38C - thank you all!

We celebrated the achievement with a "Gin & Tonic" party - two bottles of gin later all was well, not too well the next day, all suffered, still, it was their day off!


Untitled Document